Get our latest staff recommendations, award news and digital catalog links right to your inbox.
Table of Contents
About The Book
Perfect for fans of Hatchet and the I Survived series, this harrowing middle grade debut novel-in-verse from a Pushcart Prize–nominated poet tells the story of a young girl who wakes up one day to find herself utterly alone in her small Colorado town.
When twelve-year-old Maddie hatches a scheme for a secret sleepover with her two best friends, she ends up waking up to a nightmare. She’s alone—left behind in a town that has been mysteriously evacuated and abandoned.
With no one to rely on, no power, and no working phone lines or internet access, Maddie slowly learns to survive on her own. Her only companions are a Rottweiler named George and all the books she can read. After a rough start, Maddie learns to trust her own ingenuity and invents clever ways to survive in a place that has been deserted and forgotten.
As months pass, she escapes natural disasters, looters, and wild animals. But Maddie’s most formidable enemy is the crushing loneliness she faces every day. Can Maddie’s stubborn will to survive carry her through the most frightening experience of her life?
About The Reader
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio (July 20, 2021)
- Runtime: 4 hours and 28 minutes
- ISBN13: 9781797130521
- Grades: 5 and up
- Ages: 10 - 99
Browse Related Books
Awards and Honors
- California Young Reader Medal Nominee
- ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
- Young Hoosier Book Award Nominee (IN)
- Maine Student Book Award Reading List
- Texas Lone Star Reading List
- Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award Master List (IL)
- Volunteer State Book Award Nominee (TN)
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award Nominee
- Colorado Book Awards Finalist
- NCTE Notable Verse Novel List
- Keystone to Reading Secondary Reading List (PA)
- Intermediate Sequoyah Book Award Master List (OK)
- Just One More Page Recommendation List
- South Carolina Junior Book Award Nominee
- Rhode Island Middle School Book Award Nominee
- Golden Dome Book Award Master List (VT)
- Iowa Children's Choice Award List
- High Plains Book Award Young Adult Winner
- OWL Award
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Alone Unabridged Audio Download 9781797130521
- Author Photo (jpg): Megan E. Freeman Laura Carson Photography(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More books from this reader: Gail Shalan
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.