Get our latest staff recommendations, award news and digital catalog links right to your inbox.
Good Morning to Me!
Table of Contents
About The Book
Rise and shine—ready or not! A cheerful parrot pushes the limits of early-morning energy in this exuberant picture book from the author-illustrator of Red Sled and Flight School.
Good morning, Mouse! Good morning, Kitty! Good morning, Gracie! And GOOD MORNING TO ME!
It’s a sleepy morning in the cottage, but Beatrix the parrot is wide AWAKE…and she can’t wait to start the day with her friends.
From the beloved author-illustrator of Red Sled, Red Hat, and Flight School, this joyful picture book is perfect for children who can’t contain their exuberance—and who might have a little, tiny, itty bit of trouble using indoor voices.
About The Illustrator
Lita Judge is the award-winning author and illustrator of many children’s books, including Flight School, Penguin Flies Home, Red Sled, Red Hat, Good Morning to Me!, Born in the Wild, Even the Smallest Will Grow, When You Need Wings, and her illustrated young adult novel, Mary’s Monster. She lives with her husband, two cats, and a parrot in New Hampshire. You can visit her online at LitaJudge.com.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (May 5, 2015)
- Length: 40 pages
- ISBN13: 9781481403696
- Grades: P - 3
- Ages: 4 - 8
- Lexile ® AD340L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
"Beatrix's irrepressible character stands out as brightly as her green and gold plumage....Young children who share Beatrix's morning hyperactivity, or even just her flexible relationship with the idea of an "indoor voice," will certainly relate…as will, without doubt, their parents. A few hearty squawks and a brisk bit of exercise—what better way to start the day?"
– Kirkus Reviews, March 2015
* "Beatrix the parrot: threat or menace? She really is a loving bird; in fact, she’s constantly telling the other animals in her cottage home that she loves them. But she’s so clueless and so loud—and doesn’t she ever sleep? It’s hard to be her friend and to keep her out of harm’s way, although Mouse certainly tries...a series of funny, often wordless misadventures and mishaps featuring a lead character whose energetic, blissfully obtuse personality is as vivid as her bright green feathers...it’s a lovely book: Judge (Born in the Wild) uses aqueous, shimmering blues for her environments so that the furs, feathers, and marvelous expressions of her cast pop. It also demands, in the best possible way, that readers slow down and pore over every picture. It’s easy to imagine the many warm, giggling interchanges that snuggling with this book will inspire."
– Publishers Weekly, March 2015, STARRED REVIEW
"All of her friends are sleeping, but Beatrix the parrot is wide awake.... Watercolor and pencil illustrations vary between full-page spreads and comic book–style frames. Soft colors contrast the bright green and yellow of Beatrix the parrot. VERDICT: Children who have a hard time with indoor voices will relate to Beatrix’s enthusiastic nature."
– School Library Journal, May 2015
"Against a soft blue reflecting the morning’s quiet and stillness, Beatrix the parrot’s bright green feathers stand out as sharp and clear as her morning energy.... Watercolor and pencil illustrations create energy that builds with every page turn as Beatrix’s enthusiasm for morning fun leads to more and more trouble...the crisp text consists almost completely of dialogue among the animals, and their strong personalities come through in their expressive eyes and body language. Beatrix is at once incredibly frustrating and undeniably lovable, and no creature—or reader—can resist her for long, making this tribute to rude awakenings a joy to read and share."
– Horn Book Magazine, July/August 2015
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Good Morning to Me! Hardcover 9781481403696
- Author Photo (jpg): Lita Judge Photograph courtesy of the author(0.9 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.