Get our latest staff recommendations, award news and digital catalog links right to your inbox.
I Killed Zoe Spanos
Table of Contents
About The Book
For fans of Sadie and Serial, this “gloriously twisty” (BuzzFeed) thriller follows two teens whose lives become inextricably linked when one confesses to murder and the other becomes determined to uncover the real truth no matter the cost.
What happened to Zoe won’t stay buried…
When Anna Cicconi arrives to the small Hamptons village of Herron Mills for a summer nanny gig, she has high hopes for a fresh start. What she finds instead is a community on edge after the disappearance of Zoe Spanos, a local girl who has been missing since New Year’s Eve. Anna bears an eerie resemblance to Zoe, and her mere presence in town stirs up still-raw feelings about the unsolved case. As Anna delves deeper into the mystery, stepping further and further into Zoe’s life, she becomes increasingly convinced that she and Zoe are connected—and that she knows what happened to her.
Two months later, Zoe’s body is found in a nearby lake, and Anna is charged with manslaughter. But Anna’s confession is riddled with holes, and Martina Green, teen host of the Missing Zoe podcast, isn’t satisfied. Did Anna really kill Zoe? And if not, can Martina’s podcast uncover the truth?
Inspired by Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca, Kit Frick weaves an electrifying story of psychological suspense that twists and turns until the final page.
- Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books (June 30, 2020)
- Length: 384 pages
- ISBN13: 9781534449725
- Grades: 9 and up
- Ages: 14 - 99
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
"A shivery delight"
"A gloriously twisty, unreliably narrated thriller."
* "This atmospheric and delicious contemporary gothic tale...captures the compulsive listenability of a true-crime podcast”
– BCCB, starred review
"The YA thriller of the summer."
"I Killed Zoe Spanos is a dizzying, kaleidoscopic fever-dream of a novel. From its ‘did I read that right?’ opening pages, right through to an ending I truly didn’t see coming, this fantastic thriller left me breathless."
– Tom Ryan, author of Keep This to Yourself
“An addictive sea-side thriller, I Killed Zoe Spanos is a tour de force! I have paper cuts all over my hands from turning these pages so fast.”
– Derek Milman, author of Scream All Night and Swipe Right for Murder
"Haunting, addictive, and simply unputdownable, I Killed Zoe Spanos is complex, nuanced, and full of twists and turns that will keep you turning the pages until the very end. This is a story that will stay with you long after you’ve finished."
– Amber Smith, New York Times bestselling author of The Way I Used to Be, The Last to Let Go, and Something Like Gravity
"With an addictive voice, expert storytelling, and a twist even I didn't see coming, I Killed Zoe Spanos is one killer thriller! Read. It. Now."
– Gretchen McNeil, author of Ten, Get Even, and #murdertrending
"An atmospheric and creepy page-turner."
– Kirkus Reviews
Awards and Honors
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle List High School Title
- Amazing Audiobooks for YA
- ALA/YALSA Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): I Killed Zoe Spanos eBook 9781534449725
- Author Photo (jpg): Kit Frick Photo: © Carly Gaebe / Steadfast Studio(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.