Get our latest staff recommendations, award news and digital catalog links right to your inbox.
In Every Life
Table of Contents
About The Book
A simple and profound meditation on the many wonders of life from two-time Caldecott Honor recipient Marla Frazee.
In every life, there is love and loss, hope and joy, wonder and mystery. With glowing art and spare, powerful text, Caldecott Honor–winning creator Marla Frazee celebrates the moments, feelings, and experiences, both big and small, that make up a life.
About The Illustrator
Marla Frazee is the recipient of a Boston Globe–Horn Book Award for Picture Book and atwo-time Caldecott Honor winner. She has illustrated many acclaimed picture books, including All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon, Stars by Mary Lyn Ray, and Everywhere Babies by Susan Meyers, as well as her own Farmer Books trilogy, A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever, and The Boss Baby, which inspired the DreamWorks Animation film. She is also the illustrator of the New York Times bestselling Clementine chapter books by Sara Pennypacker. The mother of three grown sons, she lives in Pasadena, California. Visit her at MarlaFrazee.com.
- Publisher: Beach Lane Books (February 7, 2023)
- Length: 32 pages
- ISBN13: 9781665912488
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
"Two-time Caldecott Honor recipient Marla Frazee brings her considerable talents to a timeless celebration of birth and life in In Every Life, a wonder of a picture book.... Frazee’s love both for her art and for life itself shines from each page of In Every Life. This gentle, luminous book is a treasure."
– BookPage, 2/1/2023
"Readers looking for picture books featuring people who look like them: rejoice!... Fellowship is precisely the feeling that [Frazee] captures here, in uplifting word and luminous image."
– Shelf Awareness For Readers, *STARRED REVIEW*, 2/10/2023
* "This book is a meditation on gratitude, full of intricate symbolism.... The overall mood is slow, steady, and soothing. The combination of the spiritual words and the prosaic moments alternating with grand panoramas bestows a magnitude to the minutiae of the everyday. The characters are diverse in every sense of the word, representing a myriad of families and lived experiences. While the book’s brevity is appropriate for a read-aloud, children will want to examine the illustrations closely.... Simultaneously simple and majestic, this benediction of a book is recommended for first purchase."
– School Library Journal, STARRED REVIEW, 1/1/2023
* "This brief, stirring benediction... starts with new life. A rich trove of moving images lets Frazee range over an expansive constellation of human experiences, offering fodder to explore and discuss."
– Publishers Weekly, STARRED REVIEW, 12/19/2022
* "Providing opportunities for observation, conversation, and reflection... This lyrical blessing of a picture book belongs on every shelf."
– Kirkus Reviews, STARRED, 11/15/2022
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): In Every Life Hardcover 9781665912488
- Author Photo (jpg): Marla Frazee Photo courtesy of the author(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
You may also like: Picture Book Staff Picks
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.