Selected as a Best Book of 2018 by NPR, Kirkus Reviews, School Library Journal, and Shelf Awareness!
A young Muslim girl spends a busy day wrapped up in her mother’s colorful headscarf in this sweet and fanciful picture book from debut author and illustrator Jamilah Tompkins-Bigelow and Ebony Glenn.
A khimar is a flowing scarf that my mommy wears. Before she walks out the door each day, she wraps one around her head.
A young girl plays dress up with her mother’s headscarves, feeling her mother’s love with every one she tries on. Charming and vibrant illustrations showcase the beauty of the diverse and welcoming community in this portrait of a young Muslim American girl’s life.
Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow is a Philadelphia-based educator and children’s book author. Her works, which center young Black Muslim protagonists, have been recognized and critically praised by many trusted voices in literature, including American Library Association, School Library Journal, and NPR. Her books include Mommy’s Khimar and Your Name is a Song, and she is a contributor to the Once Upon an Eid anthology.
Ebony Glenn is a children’s book illustrator whose whimsical and expressive imagery can be found in Mommy’s Khimar and Brave Ballerina: The Story of Janet Collins, among others. Passionate for the arts and great storytelling, she lives in the outskirts of Atlanta with her family.
Publisher: Salaam Reads/Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (April 3, 2018)
Length: 40 pages
Grades: P - 3
Ages: 4 - 8
Lexile ® AD560L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
"This affirming book will be a welcome mirror for Muslim and interfaith families, and a necessary counter to the Islamophobic discourse that fills the current airwaves. The illustrations are as lively and brightly colored as the khimars themselves, and smiling faces of friends and family members echo the warm message of the text."
– Booklist, February 1, 2018
* "At the core of the story is the love between the girl and her mother....The words are often lyrical, and the story artfully includes many cultural details that will delight readers who share the cheerful protagonist's culture and enlighten readers who don't. With a universal message of love and community, this book offers a beautiful representation of a too-often-overlooked cultural group."
– Kirkus Reviews - starred review, February 15, 2018
* "Debut author Thompkins-Bigelow’s lyrical text and Glenn’s lighthearted Disney-style pictures are similarly sunny. Rather than offer an exegesis of the khimar or a plea for acceptance and understanding, they allow their heroine’s carefree confidence to speak for itself."
– Publisher's Weekly - starred review, January 29, 2018
* "The vibrancy and charm of Glenn's art is embracing, allowing readers of all cultures and faiths to appreciate the narrator's joy and celebrate with her. Readers of all backgrounds can easily identify with the imaginative, young narrator...The delightful prose and whimsical illustrations reflect a culture of diversity and acceptance while offering many entry points for discussion with young audiences. Warm and sweet, Mommy's Khimar is an uplifting and invigorating tale for any story time."
– Shelf Awareness - STARRED review, April 20, 2018
"A sweet addition to picture book collections."
– School Library Journal, May 2018
Awards and Honors
ALA Notable Children's Books
CCBC Choices (Cooperative Children's Book Council)
Chicago Public Library's Best of the Best
Bank Street Best Children's Book of the Year Selection Title
Wisconsin State Reading Association's Reading List