Get our latest staff recommendations, award news and digital catalog links right to your inbox.
The Dean Hughes Collection (Boxed Set)
Soldier Boys; Search and Destroy; Missing in Action
Table of Contents
About The Book
In Soldier Boys, Spencer Morgan and Dieter Hedrick are on opposite sides of World War II and fighting for the same thing.
Search and Destroy finds Rick Ward enlisting with the Charlie Rangers special unit in Vietnam. He wanted to go to war—but this war is far bigger, scarier, and more complicated than anything he ever could have imagined.
And in Missing in Action, Jay Thacker works hard to convince everyone, and maybe even himself, that his dad—who is missing in action as he fights in World War II—is really a POW and military hero, and not gone forever.
These three stand-alone stories take a searing look at war and its consequences, examining what it means to be a hero, what it means to be a friend, and what it means to be a man.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (October 20, 2015)
- Length: 752 pages
- ISBN13: 9781481439978
- Grades: 7 and up
- Ages: 12 - 99
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
“[A] wonderful novel that is sure to appeal on many levels…the issues explored will make many think.”
– Library Media Connection on Missing in Action, Highly Recommended
“Subtle and engaging.”
– Kirkus Reviews on Missing in Action
– VOYA on Search and Destroy
“Well-written, realistic, and engrossing.”
– School Library Journal on Search and Destroy
“[A] compelling, insightful story about the emotional, physical, and psychological scars that wars leave upon soldiers.”
– Booklist on Search and Destroy
* “Compassionate and tragic…. This book may linger in the reader’s mind for quite some time.”
– The Horn Book on Soldier Boys, *STARRED REVIEW*
“[A] realistically harrowing depiction of the pointlessness of war.”
– Publishers Weekly on Soldier Boys
“Soldier Boys rises above the clichés of standard World War II stories.”
– School Library Journal on Soldier Boys
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): The Dean Hughes Collection (Boxed Set) Boxed Set Trade Paperback 9781481439978
- Author Photo (jpg): Dean Hughes Photograph by Doug Martin(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.