Get our latest staff recommendations, award news and digital catalog links right to your inbox.
The Lord of Opium
Table of Contents
About The Book
In the riveting sequel to the acclaimed bestseller The House of the Scorpion, Matt reels from the change in status quo and struggles to do the right thing; find out his story’s end in this new edition with a reimagined cover!
Matt Alacrán is a fourteen-year-old drug lord.
Until recently, Matt was just a clone grown from a strip of El Patrón’s skin. Now he is lord of the land of Opium, on the one-time US–Mexico border, and rules over an army of microchipped, zombielike workers who are programmed to produce the drugs that are Opium’s main export. El Patrón kept the air and water in Opium clean, but the rest of the world is a polluted wasteland.
Matt is sure that, in his new position, he can find a way to break the cycle of violence and destruction—but it will only be possible if he chooses the right people to trust.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (September 3, 2013)
- Length: 432 pages
- ISBN13: 9781442482562
- Grades: 7 and up
- Ages: 12 - 99
- Lexile ® HL700L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
* "Farmer’s near-future world offers an electric blend of horrors and beauty. Lyrically written and filled with well-rounded, sometimes thorny characters. . . . [a] superb novel." - Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "A stellar sequel worth the wait.” - Booklist, starred review
“A vividly imagined tale of a future world full of fascinating characters and moral themes—a tremendous backdrop for one young man’s search for identity.”
– Kirkus Reviews
Awards and Honors
- ILA Young Adults' Choices
- Volunteer State Book Award Nominee (TN)
- ALA/YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults - Nominee
- Los Angeles Public Library Best of Year: Children's Books
- MSTA Reading Circle List
- Green Earth Book Award Shortlist
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): The Lord of Opium
Author Photo (jpg): Nancy Farmer
Photo Credit:(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More books in this series: The House of the Scorpion
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.