Get our latest staff recommendations, award news and digital catalog links right to your inbox.
The Thanksgiving Story
Table of Contents
About The Book
In this festive Caldecott Honor–winning picture book, Alice Dalgiesh brings to life the origin of the Thanksgiving holiday for readers of all ages.
Giles, Constance and Damaris Hopkins are all passengers aboard the crowded Mayflower, journeying to the New World to start a new life. Things get a little more cramped when their baby brother Oceanus is born during the passage. However, when they arrive, there are even worse challenges to face as the Pilgrims are subjected to hunger, cold, and sickness that put their small colony in great danger. With the help of the Native Americans though, they might just be able to survive their first year in this strange land—and have a November harvest to celebrate for generations!
About The Illustrator
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (August 31, 1988)
- Length: 32 pages
- ISBN13: 9780684189994
- Grades: K - 3
- Ages: 5 - 8
- Lexile ® 610L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- Age 4 - 8
- Lexile ® 591 - 690
- Children's Fiction > Holidays & Festivals > Thanksgiving
- Children's Fiction > People & Places > United States > General
- Children's Fiction > People & Places > United States > Other
- Children's Fiction > Historical > United States > Colonial & Revolutionary Periods
Awards and Honors
- Caldecott Honor Book
- ALA Notable Children's Books
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): The Thanksgiving Story Hardcover 9780684189994(0.4 MB)
More books from this illustrator: Helen Sewell
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.