Get our latest staff recommendations, award news and digital catalog links right to your inbox.
Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates
Table of Contents
About The Book
On an island called Puerto Rico, there lived a little boy who wanted only to play baseball. Although he had no money, Roberto Clemente practiced and practiced until—eventually—he made it to the Major Leagues. As a right-fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates, he fought tough opponents—and even tougher racism—but with his unreal catches and swift feet, he earned his nickname, "The Great One." He led the Pirates to two World Series, hit three-thousand hits, and was the first Latino to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. But it wasn't just baseball that made Clemente legendary—he was was also a humanitarian dedicated to improving the lives of others.
About The Illustrator
Raúl Colón has illustrated several highly acclaimed picture books including the New York Times bestselling Angela and the Baby Jesus by Frank McCourt and Susanna Reich’s José! Born to Dance, which received a starred review in Booklist. Mr. Colón lived in Puerto Rico as a young boy and now resides in New City, New York, with his family.
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (March 4, 2008)
- Length: 40 pages
- ISBN13: 9781416950820
- Grades: P - 3
- Ages: 4 - 8
- Fountas & Pinnell™ P These books have been officially leveled by using the F&P Text Level Gradient™ Leveling System
Browse Related Books
Awards and Honors
- ALA Notable Children's Books
- CCBC Choices (Cooperative Children's Book Council)
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle List PrimaryTitle
- Bank Street Best Books of the Year
- CBC/NCSS Notable Children's Book in Social Studies
- Land of Enchantment RoadRunner Award Nominee (NM)
- Americas Award Commended Title
- Land of Enchantment RoadRunner Award (NM)
- Storytelling World Award Honor Book, "Stories for Young Listeners"
- International Latino Book Award Honorable Mention
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Roberto Clemente Trade Paperback 9781416950820(6.3 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Jonah Winter Photo courtesy of the author(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More books from this illustrator: Raúl Colón
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.